March 21, 2017
11:30 - 1:00 PM
Don’t forget about your database (Redux)
When programming (especially in RoR and Wordpress) most developers have a set it and leave it mentality to their databases. Until it screeches to a screaming halt, or god forbid you’ve used all your connections and locked all your users out. So to help minimize those moments, I will go over simple things to help you understand your database, make it run more efficiently and help it stay up and running. For example:
- Understanding and Creating table indexes… the right way
- Using built in views to get a sense of how your databases and indexes are working
- The different between Views and Functions/Stored Procedures and how when when to use them.
- When using all the above, reorganize large tables and update your database statistics for better query optimization. (PSQL ANALYZE, MYSQL OPTIMIZE)
- Database Config files and some simple basic settings you can do when starting a project.
- Also if time, when things go wrong, helpful tools/software that come in handy to help figure out what’s going on.
Let’s get crazy, and learn about some dbs!!!
Torrey Johnson, Shift Interactive
Thanks to Shift Interactive for providing food for this meeting.
We would appreciate an RSVP to get a head count, as well as any dietary limitations you may have.
RSVP here: https://eventbrite.com
1501 42ND Street Suite 580
West Des Moines, IA 50266
(This is the top floor of the "1 Corporate Place" building on the corner of 42nd and Westown Parkway)