Thursday, May 15, 2008
6:00 - 7:30 PM
Luke Amdor / Iowa Student Loan
Are you ready for an actual version control system that actually stays out of the way? A system that doesn't take umpteen million commands just to work on a branch? Something that doesn't force its workflow on you. Welcome to the world of Git. Git (http://git.or.cz/) is a distributed version control system focused on speed, effectivity and real-world usability. Git was born out of the need for a non-linear distributed workflow for Linux kernel development. Linus Torvald's design criteria were easy: "Take CVS as an example of what not to do. If in doubt, do the opposite."
Make sure to bring your laptops as we'll be doing some very hands on activities with Git.
Due to the amount of time that we have, if you are bringing your own laptop and wish to follow our examples, could you please install Git via:
- On Windows: Through the installer on http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
- On Max OS X: Through the installer on http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/
- Everything else: Through your own package manager.
It would be most helpful if you do this. Thanks.
Topics we'll touch on:
- What it means to be a distributed version control system?
- Git vs. SVN/CVS
- Git Commands
- Subverting Subversion
- Free Git repository hosting (GitHub and others)
400 Locust Street, Suite 840
Des Moines, Iowa
- Park at the ramp at 4th and Grand, or drive around and find a spot on the street. (ramp parking costs $, street parking is free after 6).
- Come into the capital square building and take the escalator to the 2nd floor. (If you come in via the skywalk, you will already be on the second floor.)
- Walk around to where the elevators are, sign in, and take an elevator to the 8th floor.
- Walk towards the near wall, turn left and cross the little bridge. (The big bridge is the wrong way).
- Take the first left after you exit the small bridge. Do not turn left until after you have crossed the bridge.
We are in a conference room on the left, after you pass several rooms and cubes. Generally, you can just follow the noise.
If you get lost, call Josh More at: 515-245-7701
Map (Alliance Technologies)
Dinner After the Meeting
If you can, please plan to join us for dinner at a local restaurant after the meeting.